Driver license exchange in Italy
Here are some guides to help you with Driver license Exchange In Italy
Italy Driving licenses are valid for 10 years.
Category A and B Italy Licenses are valid for:
- 10 years, for drivers up to 50 years of age,
- 5 years, for drivers between 50 and 70 years of age,
- 3 years, for drivers between 70 and 80 years of age,
- 2 years, for drivers older than 80.
If you hold a DL for life (i.e. one that remains administratively valid for an unlimited period) that was issued by another EU country, you will have to renew the license 2 years after moving to Italy.
Non-EU Driver license – exchange & recognition
You must exchange your non-EU Driver license within 1 year of moving to Italy.
To exchange your non-EU Driver license:
- Go to the agency of Ministry of Transport (
- you will be asked to:
- produce your Driver license and a copy of it,
- fill in a form (model TT 2112),
- provide two passport type photos,
- provide a medical certificate with picture, and a copy of it,
- make a payment (approx. € 9,00 for cc 9001 and €32 for cc 4028 – more information at the agency’s counter).
If you have previously exchanged a non-EU Driver license for an EU license in another EU country, you can use it for a year after moving to Italy. If your EU license is valid for an unlimited period, you will have to renew it two years after moving to Italy.